Blood sugar, or glucose, is the main sugar found in your blood. It comes from the food you eat and is your body’s main source of energy. Your blood carries glucose to all of your body’s cells to use for energy.
Diabetes is a disease in which your blood sugar levels are too high. Over time, having too much glucose in your blood can cause serious problems. Even if you don’t have diabetes, sometimes you may have problems with blood sugar that is too low or too high. Keeping a regular schedule of eating, activity, and taking any medicines you need can help.
If you do have diabetes, it is very important to keep your blood sugar numbers in your target range. You may need to check your blood sugar several times each day. Your health care provider will also do a blood test called an A1C. It checks your average blood sugar level over the past three months. If your blood sugar is too high, you may need to take medicines and/or follow a special diet.
Many factors can contribute to hyperglycemia, including:
- Not using enough insulin or oral diabetes medication
- Not injecting insulin properly or using expired insulin
- Not following your diabetes eating plan
- Being inactive
- Having an illness or infection
- Using certain medications, such as steroids
- Being injured or having surgery
- Experiencing emotional stress, such as family conflict or workplace challenges
Illness or stress can trigger hyperglycemia because hormones produced to combat illness or stress can also cause your blood sugar to rise. Even people who don’t have diabetes may develop transient hyperglycemia during severe illness. But people with diabetes may need to take extra diabetes medication to keep blood glucose near normal during illness or stress.
Keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range can help prevent many diabetes-related complications. Long-term complications of untreated hyperglycemia can include:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Nerve damage (neuropathy)
- Kidney damage (diabetic nephropathy) or kidney failure
- Damage to the blood vessels of the retina (diabetic retinopathy), potentially leading to blindness
- Clouding of the normally clear lens of your eye (cataract)
- Feet problems caused by damaged nerves or poor blood flow that can lead to serious skin infections, ulcerations, and in some severe cases, amputation
- Bone and joint problems
- Teeth and gum infections
If blood sugar rises high enough or for a prolonged period of time, it can lead to two serious conditions.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis. Diabetic ketoacidosis develops when you don’t have enough insulin in your body. When this happens, sugar (glucose) can’t enter your cells for energy. Your blood sugar level rises, and your body begins to break down fat for energy. This process produces toxic acids known as ketones. Excess ketones accumulate in the blood and eventually “spill over” into the urine. Left untreated, diabetic ketoacidosis can lead to a diabetic coma and be life-threatening.
- Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state. This condition occurs when people produce insulin, but it doesn’t work properly. Blood glucose levels may become very high — greater than 1,000 mg/dL (55.6 mmol/L). Because insulin is present but not working properly, the body can’t use either glucose or fat for energy. Glucose is then spilled into the urine, causing increased urination. Left untreated, diabetic hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state can lead to life-threatening dehydration and coma. Prompt medical care is essential.
What is Sugar Balance supplement?
Sugar Balance is a new natural supplement you can buy only online that is marketed to people with type 2 diabetes who want to control their blood sugar. You take two capsules of Sugar Balance per day, and you can purportedly stop taking insulin and other diabetes medication prescribed by your doctor.
Ingredients of Sugar Balance
According to the creator, the Sugar Balance herbal formula embraces the following ingredients:
Schisandra is a unique fruit found in China. Its berries deliver different tastes all at the same time. They taste bitter, sweet, sour, pungent, and salty all the same time. This ingredient contains a group of compounds known as lignans. According to some studies, lignans can boost immunity to prevent sickness and improve overall health.
While it’s a native of China, this fruit is also available in Russia and other Asian countries. The berries have been used for medicinal purposes for ages. In a study published in the Bioscience Scientific Journal, researchers discovered that Schisandra could “improve glucose tolerance” and “worked as an anti-diabetic prescription.”
Licorice Root Extract
As revealed by studies, licorice root extract delivers potential anti-inflammatory benefits and supports liver cells’ health to improve digestion. Besides, it can help with fat burning and weight loss.
This ingredient is very useful in supporting healthy blood glucose levels too. According to the Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, it showed significant blood glucose lowering effects.
Astragalus Root Extract
This ingredient has been used in Chinese traditional medicine for centuries. Many studies reveal that including Astragalus in supplements can help lower blood sugar levels and boost metabolism. It also aids weight loss. According to a study conducted by the International Medicine Clinic, researchers found that Astragalus delivered a “substantial improvement in diabetic nephropathy.”
Wild Yam Root
Wild Yam Root delivers a chemical known as Dioscoretine, which allows the body to balance blood glucose levels. It is also a hypoglycemic agent, which aids diabetes treatment. Some studies also link it to more estrogen production besides delivering strong anti-inflammatory effects that may help alleviate arthritis.
Solomon’s Seal Extract
This ingredient is considered a “healing plant” based on its rich concentration of anti-inflammatory compounds known as polyphenol. A common ingredient in Chinese medicine, this plant can also boost sugar metabolism and alleviate some of the complications often associated with diabetes.
Mulberry Leaf Extract
Mulberry leaf extract supports immunity and could help reduce joint pain related to inflammation. Besides, it could support better blood sugar balance. Used in powdery form, this ingredient could help lower blood sugar levels in people with type-2 diabetes.
This is the reason the creator of Sugar Balance included it in the supplement. It works to help decrease fasting blood sugar levels better that conventional medication.
Lyceum Chinese Fruit Extract
Also known as Boxthorn, this ingredient is popular for its anti-diabetic effects for ages. Some studies also link it to a significant decrease in blood pressure levels. It can help the body produce more transporters to move sugar from the blood to the cells in the organs.
In some studies, Lyceum was found to possess a potential novel treatment in preventing diet-induced liver. It also helps the body fight aches and fevers. Together with other ingredients, Lyceum works to help improve the efficacy and safety of the Sugar Balance herbal supplement.
Balloon Flower Root
This extract closes the list of the potential ingredients in Sugar Balance. It delivers powerful anti-inflammatory properties and pain relief in addition to several cardiovascular benefits.
Also known as Korean Flower or Chinese bellflower, this ingredient can deliver the following health benefits:
- Improves heart health
- Protects liver cells to facilitate metabolism
- Delivers anti-inflammatory properties
- Delivers analgesic and pain-relieving properties
- Helps improve the immune system
- Helps lower blood pressure
As revealed by a 2012 study by the Food Research Institute, this ingredient is also associated with decreased triacylglycerol (FAT) storage in the liver, which improves insulin production.